Saturday, November 30, 2013

EVENT #4: Natural History Museum


On November 27, I visited the Natural History Museum, unfortunately located directly adjacent to the rivaled university.  I have always been in love with animals and so interested in nature and every species of organism, so this trip was very fun for me!  The diorama halls of the animals from different continents of the world were, by far, my favorite.  The exhibits were incredibly detailed and arranged in a way that the animals were placed in lifelike movements, had realistic terrain, foliage, and other animal props, and had a three-dimensional backdrop that completed the look for a world that seems to actually go infinitely beyond what you initially see in front of you.  Each exhibit truly was an artistic, delightful masterpiece that was definitely worth seeing, and also educational if you read the display descriptions like I do.

Look guys, I fed some elk! (;

My other favorite exhibition was the one on gems and minerals.  “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend”, as the saying goes, though when I walked through this hall, I was glowing with envy by the beauty of every single gem and mineral there.  These formations of nature are art forms that are miraculously naturally created by the Earth.  Every mineral glistened from the light, and every mineral amazed me, such as the glow in the dark rocks, of course all of the gold, and minerals and gems with very unique designs and shapes to them.  The birth stone collection was behind vault doors completely blew me away – the opals (my October birth stone) were composed of collages of every color that shined brightly in the light, and the diamond jewelry was made out of the largest diamonds that I have ever seen, including the largest red diamond naturally formed.

 

Dinosaurs, who once ruled the Earth, were also a main attraction at the museum.  Their bones (both real and artificial) were carefully constructed together to form the entire bodies or portions of a prehistoric species.  This is an art to master, especially uncovering fossils that must be identified and carefully cleaned and modeled to form the remnants of what was once a living organism.  Overall, this was a very rewarding place for me to attend, since it displays the big picture of the world around us, and preserves many important and fascinating specimens and historical artifacts.

Favorite display!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment